Re: serial console servers

fair%NetBSD.org@localhost (Erik Fair) writes:

>For those of us who run computer systems with serial consoles, how do you
>handle the "terminal" side of that? Console server? Lots of old TTYs,
>LA-120's? Terminal server? A custom configuration? Lots of PC laptoys running
>PuTTY, Kermit, or "tip/cu"?

>Yes, this is a survey. I'd like to collect the experience/wisdom available
>here.

The home server with dual USB->Serial adapter as two consoles for two
development machines. Software ist conserver.

For a large server installation, remote management boards (ILO/DRAC/BMC/etc..)
and serial console redirection enabled.
Software is again conserver talking to the remote management boards via IPMI or
ssh.

For server systems (non-Intel) with dedicated serial console ports, Cyclades
Terminalserver (TSxxxx, ACS32).

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost