Re: Sysinst default root login shell

On 2012-04-10 09:59, David Holland wrote:
On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 07:25:57AM -0700, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
  >  In my opinion, it's time to change master.passwd.  /bin/csh is just no
  >  fun to work with as a default.  We did an end run around the problem
  >  with sysinst before, but that is now in conflict with a desire to have
  >  the ability to configure more stuff without imposing a huge series of
  >  questions upon the user.

Agreed; unless we import tcsh into base the only way to get anything
like a reasonable interactive environment is with sh.

I would say the toor account should just be pruned; it's pretty much
useless by default.

The really hard question: whether or not to change "Charlie".

In an ideal world sysinst would allow choosing tcsh and then schedule
the static-tcsh package for build or install, and/or any other pkgsrc
shell that is or will be on the root volume, but I don't think that's
likely to be workable anytime in the near future.

plus in the long run the csh family should be allowed to gradually
die; there's little to recommend it from a language standpoint...

But tcsh is a much nicer (imho) shell for interactive use than sh, and I think we are talking about the login shell, and not the shell language...
I'd say even csh is nicer than sh as an interactive shell.

Let's keep the issue of language apart from the interactive shell use. People have a tendency of switching way too much over to sh (or bash actually) just because the language is much better. But this does not automatically make it a better shell for interactive use.

        Johnny