Re: X Leaving Display Blank

In Message <201203100122.q2A1MsjQ007789%ginseng.pulsar-zone.net@localhost>,
   Matthew Mondor <mm_lists%pulsar-zone.net@localhost>wrote:

=>On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 20:12:19 -0500
=>Gary Duzan <gary%duzan.org@localhost> wrote:
=>
=>> (resending without logs to avoid size limit)
=>>
=>>    I have an amd64/current system, previously limping along on a
=>> Feb 26 snapshot, which I updated (sysinst upgrade) right after the
=>> ssh/random fix went in. Now whenever I start X (from current xsrc),
=>> the display (LCD) goes totally black for a moment, as expected,
=>> the backlight comes back on, but the display remains blank. I can
=>> still switch wscons screens and type commands and see their effects
=>> (e.g. reboot), but the display remains blank. I know that X keeps
=>> running, but killing it doesn't bring back the display. I just
=>> updated to a snapshot from this morning, but no change.
=>>
=>>                                     Gary Duzan
=>>
=>>
=>> p.s. I was also able to provoke panics by running tests on the
=>>      snapshots, but I'll see about reporting that in more detail
=>>      over the weekend.
=>>
=>
=>This somewhat at first glance looks like my xsrc/46138, but in my case
=>X11 just initializes the display and dies, so switching VT isn't enough
=>to bring the console back.  This was after the noretro option was added
=>such that the screen be initialized with a black background instead of
=>the gray stipples.  But that's netbsd-6, and I didn't yet investigate
=>where exactly X11 quits or crashes.  It also could be specific to a
=>Radeon fill function bug.

   In case they are of use, I've placed my dmesg and Xorg log on
the web at:

http://www.duzan.org/gary/dmesg.boot
http://www.duzan.org/gary/Xorg.0.log

   If anyone has any suggestions as to what to try, please let
me know.

                                        Gary Duzan