Re: sqlite3.pc missing includedir & libdir

On 22 December 2011 13:43, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 01:16:48PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
>> On 21 December 2011 21:37, Joerg Sonnenberger
>> <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
>>
>> > Well, the same test case could also just compile a test case like
>> >
>> > #include <sqlite3.h>
>> >
>> > #if SQLITE_VERSION_NUMBER < 3006003
>> > #error Too old
>> > #endif
>> >
>> > and be done. There is absolutely no need for the grepping. So yes, I
>> > don't like to help broken hacks...
>> >
>> > Joerg
>>
>> akonadi's build system is intended to work across many platforms,
>> including those without pkg-config.
>>
>> I can change the version check logic in FindSqlite.cmake to use the
>> ..._VERSION variable
>> version extracted in the pkg-config case, though the broken hacks
>> presumably need to remain
>> for other cases.
>
> You misunderstood. I'm not talking about extracting anything from
> pkg-config except CFLAGS and LIBS. I am talking about using the actual
> version macro from sqlite.h and comparing against it in a test program.
> That is trivial to test with cmake as well.

While changing FindSqlite.cmake to build a test program to check the
version would
address your concern here, the file has WIN32 logic I'd rather not mess with and
specifically does not help the issue raised in the following paragraph
of my email
(which appears to have been cut from your reply):

] Unfortunately the SQLITE_INCLUDE_DIR extracted is also passed back up
] the build system to be used later in an include_directories() call in
] qsqlite/CMakeLists.txt
]
] So, I now propose to:
] - add additional sqlite3 version check logic to wip/akonadi to be used
] only in the pkg-config case
] - change NetBSD's sqlite3.pc file to specify explicit includedir & libdir

Also, to re-iterate a point raised earlier in this thread:

cmake appears to provide a documented interface for extracting values
from pkg-config
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#module:FindPkgConfig
including ..._LIBRARY_DIRS and ..._INCLUDE_DIRS, and _VERSION

If you expect developers using cmake to not use that interface then I
think that is
a whole different discussion and not one usefully discussed on a pkgsrc list...