Re: Automated email notifications of NetBSD-current build failures

On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 08:49:35PM +0200, Andreas Gustafsson wrote:
 > > Also, if the build stays broken in the same way for more than 24
 > > hours, maybe it should mail to gnats...
 >
 > I think there are two separate questions here: (a) What are the project's
 > policies and procedures for dealing with extended build breakage, and
 > (b) should some of those be automated.  I don't think it makes sense
 > to consider (b) until we have a clear answer to (a).

True, but I think the answer to (a) is "that's not supposed to
happen". When it does, it's usually because the fix isn't obvious,
either because something obscure and not directly related to the
triggering commit broke, or because the problem turns out ot not be
straightforward. There's no obvious policy or procedure for fixing
hard problems.

I think mailing build failures to gnats (even manually) is rarely
useful in practice; but in this case it would serve as a form of
escalation of the alert. Or something like that.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost