Re: Issues with NetBSD-5.1, xen and amd64 machines.

Manuel Bouyer wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 11:30:52AM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>>      Hello.  I've now got output from xen and the dom0 kernel.  It panics,
>> but I think I can make progress from here.
>> The problem with the lack of boot messages was that it wasn't obvious to me
>> that NetBSD starts counting serial ports at com0, while xen starts at com1.
>> So,  I assume that the example in the boot.cfg(5) man page has output from
>> NetBSD going to com0, as NetBS counts it, and xen output going to com1, as
>> NetBSD counts it.  In fact, the output of both is going to the same serial
>> port with each using its own numbering convention.  Should I update the
>> boot.cfg(8) man page to make this more clear?
>
> [snip]
>
>From the console cut'n'paste you posted earlier, the bootloader wasn't
>even trying to load the xen kernel (or at last it didn't say it on
>console).

FWIW, I have a local change to boot to allow autoloading of modules to
be disabled.

My reading of the Xen sources when I first looked at the bootloader
was that it would look at each module to see which one contained the
Xen signature. I don't think this is still the case, it seems to just
assume the first one in the list is the Dom0.

Robert Swindells