Re: Possible unsafe use of strncat in sbin/sysctl/sysctl.c

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 03:22:39PM +0100, Roland C. Dowdeswell wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 04:08:40PM +0200, Jimmy Johansson wrote:
> >

> > When NetBSD 6.x comes out I might be getting back to a stable release, but
> > tinkering with current was kind of fun too. So the question is, do you
> > guys run current on your desktop machines and use that for development
> > or do you run current on another machine, or some other setup?
>
> Just a data point:
>
> I've been running various versions of -current for years.  It is
> almost always stable, almost always builds.  That said, I only
> upgrade when there is a pressing reason.  And pressing reasons only
> come along every six months or so.

I would have thought that it would be the other way around, if you
drift to far from HEAD you have a nightmare to upgrade? Before I even
knew that NetBSD existed I ran Debian unstable around Debian 2.x
something and I kind of base my understanding of running bleeding edge
from that. If you let a Debian unstable installation drift to far it is
kind of hell to upgrade.

But I guess the differance is that most linux distributions are almost
only third party software, but not so in the various *BSD. I can see
that something like that can make some differance.

I kind of guess that I should have tried NetBSD current long ago, not
that I've been unsatisfied with the stable branches, but I guess I've
missed out on a lot of "fun". :-)

One question though, how do you know that there is pressing reasons to
upgrade, do you refere to changes made to the code base or do you refere
to problems with your own hardware?

Regards,

Jimmy
--
If you don't shoot the bearers of bad news, people will keep bringing it to you.