Re: x86 GENERIC kernels unlobotomized

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 08:51:17PM +0200, Marc Balmer wrote:

> Why do people always tend to call for a superior entity (in this case
> core or board) when it comes to make a decision?

The core group are supposed to set the technical direction for NetBSD,
especially where consensus on the direction cannot be gained by
discussion.

> Even if I don't totally agree with jak, but at least he had the balls to
> decide and act.
>
> We don't need leaders and superiors, we need more balls. ;)

No, that is called anarchy and will be damaging to the project.  Being
brave with some aspects is good but when you decide to arbitrarily
switch *everyone* over to something that has the potential of leaving
someone with an unbootable system simply because they didn't realise
they need to handle the modules install is not good.

> E.g., I don't like Jak's move, so I will create a MODULAR configuration.
>  Where is the problem?  I even think that MODULAR is what people should
> be using, so I will make it the default.

Because it is a major change in the system and there has never been
broad agreement that the current modular framework can handle some
common use cases.

--
Brett Lymn
"Warning: