Re: 5.1 broke my X (from base)

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 09:32:58PM +0100, Rhialto wrote:
> I just installed 5.1 on my main amd64 machine. It broke X! Suddently it
> doesn't recognise my graphics card any more.
>
> When I reinstalled X from 5.0.1, it worked again, except that my
> keyboard options are still broken. I seem to remember something about
> directories with keymaps changing, but I don't recall the details. It
> may be related.

How did you install 5.1?
There is some changes where one file is now a directory in the xkb path:

from /src/UPDATING
20090616:
        Native Xorg was upgraded.  Builds will need a clean objdir for
        src/external/mit/xorg.  Upgrading a system from sets will not
        work properly yet as the /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pc
        subdirectory has been changed into a file, and this needs to
        be manually "rm -r"'ed before installing xbase.tgz.

> $ setxkbmap -option ctrl:swapcaps,compose:menu
> Error loading new keyboard description

I think I also changed a symlink, it was maybe /usr/X11R7/lib/X11/xkb/compiled
pointing to /var/db/xkb but that system is not running right now so I can't
check.

> My graphics card is
>
>     vga0 at pci1 dev 0 function 0: vendor 0x1002 product 0x5159 (rev. 0x00)
>     wsdisplay0 at vga0 kbdmux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation), using
> wskbd0
>     wsmux1: connecting to wsdisplay0
>     radeondrm0 at vga0: ATI Radeon QY RV100 7000/VE
>     radeondrm0: AGP at 0xe8000000 64MB
>     radeondrm0: Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080613
>
> which is listed in both the old and the new radeon driver as supported.
>
> Here is the failing Xorg.0.log file from 5.1, followed by a line with
> ====, then the working one from 5.0.1 (running on the same kernel).  I'm
> running a custom 5.1 kernel, but the GENERIC one is not different.
> It looks like the broken case stops at the point where it wants to scan
> the PCI bus.

There is a change in the PCI bus handling.

Please remove the old xorg.conf and regenerate it with Xorg --configure
and you will see what I mean.

Bernd