Re: Which password cipher ?

On 12/1/10 1:25 PM, Antti Kantee wrote:
On Wed Dec 01 2010 at 11:08:31 +0000, Julio Merino wrote:
Does sysinst even make it possible to select sha1?  Yes, let's just
drop the question from sysinst.
Yes it does; it actually offers 4 choices (last time I checked) and no
explanation whatsoever (other than the 8-char limitation of DES) as to
why you would want one or the other.

If we are to change the default, I presume the right way to do this
would be to modify the default passwd.conf file in src/etc and drop all
code that mucks with it from sysinst.  See attached patch.
Ah, I was looking at old sysinst sources.  Yes, I support that patch.

Maybe "old" is a better default ypcipher, though?
I think that makes sense; made the change.
   ... hmm, if that
patch gets shouted down, I counterpropose to add another query to select
ypcipher ;)
Heh, nice point.