Which password cipher ?

I'm installing a new domU and just realize I always choose the DES cipher for
storing local passwords as it is supposed to be the most compatible. I
personally don't use NIS (anymore) and password I share are store in LDAP using

Is it still save to store local password in DES or should something else be
used if possible ?
If so, what's the best option Blowfish, SHA1 ?

I read SHA1 has issues and SHA2 based cipher should be preferred.
It also seems that OpenBSD uses Blowfish.