Re: remove external/lib/Makefile and crypto/external/lib/Makefile

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 07:20:12PM +0000, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Nov 2010, Bernd Ernesti wrote:

> > > They are of course already run multiple times and in fact are not the only
> > > libraries that reappear this way during a complete build (eg libc itself
> > > does). My proposed change does not really affect that, I think its a
> > > different issue..
> >
> > Yeah.
>
> The main reason that they appear multiple times in the build is that they
> need to appear in the regular SUBDIR path because for example make(obj)
> proceeds in that order, even though a top-level make(build) will
> explicitly compile and install them in advance.. this means that the
> ordering in lib/Makefile and compatsubdir.mk for those items (csu,
> crtstuff4, libgcc4 and libc) is not as crucial as it would seem, since a
> make(build) from top-level does the right thing.
>
> (and incidentally, "cd lib && make" does work fine too)

> > > I believe some work is underway to update gcc to a later version, and
> > > perhaps that will include updating some of these and moving them to
> > > external/gpl3 ..  I was hoping that if this is the case, gnu/lib/Makefile
> > > would become mostly redundant at that time, and is why I thought it best
> > > to not modify it at this time..
> >
> > Hmm, what about leaving the include of it out of src/lib/Makefile for
> > the moment?
>
> Well I was busy last week but did some builds this weekend with
> gnu/lib/Makefile also entirely removed, and all lib items referred
> directly from lib/Makefile.   my patch is attached and I can detect no
> problems with it here

As I mentioned some gcc libraries have to be added earlier.

You need to move the following two directly after csu if you really want
to move gnu/lib/Makefile into lib/Makfile.

.if (${MKGCC} != "no")
SUBDIR+=       ../gnu/lib/crtstuff4
SUBDIR+=       ../gnu/lib/libgcc4
.endif

> > > In the patch I gave, it
> > > is already after the atf libraries and does build fine that way..  in any
> > > case, the atf-c++ library only results in .a files which don't have
> > > dependencies as such (I believe the dependency occurs at link stage)
> >
> > I haven't checked that part and only had in my mind that this c++.
>
> Yeah it seems so, but its easy to shuffle around afterwards if somebody
> wants to make it an actual dependency so I'm not too worried about that
> one at the moment

Hmm, what is the problem to move then before atf?

Bernd