Re: Shell tutorial added

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 21:50:41 +0400 "Valeriy E. Ushakov"
<uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 11:10:14 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > <jschauma%netmeister.org@localhost> wrote:
> >
> > > It'd be nice if we could offer this and other USD documents in
> > > pdf format on the website.  Perhaps under
> > > http://www.netbsd.org/docs/ near the links to the manual pages?
> >
> > That is my hope. We should also put up the other missing USD
> > documents into the tree, such as the troff manual, troff tutorial,
> > etc. All are available in the 4.4 final tree.
>
> Perhaps we should make the docs more ps/pdf friendly, like using
> monospaced fonts for examples &c?

That would be fine by me. Send patches? (Also feel free to commit
fixes after asking.)

> Also, one minor nit (I realize it's inherited from the original):
> it's better to use ".. > file" instead of "... >file" in examples.

I think that the "..." is more common US usage. Also, ".." gets
confusing given that there is a real file named ".." in each dir...

> > BTW, as it stands now, the makefiles for the various documents
> > create postscript -- they probably should be altered to create
> > PDF.
>
> Why not both ps and pdf?  While pdf is more convenient for viewing,
> things like n-up printing (e.g. with psnup) are easier with ps.

True enough. Either way, our current documentation files are
hard-coded to generate ps in the Makefiles -- we should fix that.

We may also want to consider generating HTML, and adding in-pdf
hyperlinks between documents and man pages, but that's another story.

--
Perry E. Metzger                perry%piermont.com@localhost