Re: recommended video card?

On Mon June 7 2010 16:55:28 bch%methodlogic.net@localhost wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 07:33:17PM +0200, Pouya D. Tafti wrote:
> > On 7 June 2010 18:20, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
> > > I have some machines with recent intel motherboards and am finding the
> > > intel xorg driver flaky. ??Apparently this is a known issue and in/for
> > > Linux there is a vastly improved intel driver. ??But, it needs
> > > something called "kernel mode switching" which is more or less moving
> > > the video ram control writes to the kernel (for security and
> > > suspend/resume hygiene), and therefore running it on netbsd seems
> > > hard.

I notice that the intel driver in pkgsrc is version 2.7.1. If you can live
without DRM, you can probably use any version less than 2.10 (which is where
KMS became mandatory). Perhaps there is an in-between version that works for
you? I tested one version from about a year ago on my Thinkpad T500 with some
luck.

Regards,
Sverre