Re: git copies of cvs modules available

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Curt Sampson <> wrote:
> On 2009-12-24 11:37 -0500 (Thu), matthew sporleder wrote:
>> I found that git over http actually uses a lot -fewer- cpu resources
>> than git over git://....
> I'm thinking that this is on the server, right? Because the git protocol
> makes the server do a bunch of work to repack things into an efficient
> form for transfer, if I recall correctly.
yes, but on the other side, git-upload-pack program has really been
thought to use as much memory as possible (really!), to be fast, and
is really not adapted for such a large repository. Use of submodules
or Android's repo tool is far more adapted to a global project
including many small projects, but that require a totally different

 - Arnaud