Re: sysinst split project - The Configuration File

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 09:19:55PM +0100, Jan Danielsson wrote:
>    I've seen a few sysinst discussions in the past, but I haven't seen
> anyone bring http://www.bsdinstaller.org/ up. (I'm not saying it's a
> viable route for NetBSD, but I'm wondering if the people working on
> sysinst have taken a look at it).
>
>    To sum up the things which appeal to me:
>    - Scriptable (in lua, as a matter of fact)
>    - Separated frontend and backend
>    - It's been around for a few years, and appears to be stable enough
> to be adopted by other projects.
>
>    As for problems, I assume it may be too "bloated" for some platforms.

Hey Jan.

I took a look at bsdinstaller. With a minimal patch it is compilable and
runnable on NetBSD (but I didn't try to go ahead of the first
screen...). I just compiled and run the C part, didn't touch the Lua
part...

DragonFly people successfully imported and use it, cut off all the non
DragonFly stuff they didn't want.

It is separated in frontend and backend, but, IIRC, there is not
configuration file. The glue between frontend and backend is made
several different forms of IPC (sockets, etc.).

It is a worth project to look.

--
Silas Silva