Re: git copies of cvs modules available

At Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:06:56 +0200, Alan Barrett <>
Subject: Re: git copies of cvs modules available
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, Curt Sampson wrote:
> > You may want to have a look at svk; that improved several areas of
> > Subversion use for non-committers for me.
> I used to be an advocate of svk, because it had decent
> support for distributed use, and decent support for
> merging.  However, it's no longer maintained (see
> <>),

The most interesting and really the most relevant part of that message
(to this part of this thread) is the following sentence:

        However using Subversion's filesystem as SVK's backend has
    become one of SVK's primary technical issues, as we found it to be
    inadequate as a storage backend for more complicated merges, which
    require a lot of traversal.

The author goes on to suggest that far superior distributed VCS tools,
designed and built from the ground up, are now available.

Perhaps SVK was a fine tool for users forced to use SVN, but I think SVN
was always the wrong answer to the question.  :-)

                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.

<>       +1 416 218 0099