Re: OSX virtualbox 3 beta still dumps core on NetBSD 5.0 release .iso

2009/6/20 Matthias Scheler <tron%zhadum.org.uk@localhost>:
> On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 11:38:01AM +0100, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
>> > Well, I'm inclined to blame this on VirtualBox as NetBSD works
>> > like a charm under VMware Fusion.
>>
>> This logic is flawed. Here I can list all the operating systems which
>> work fine under VirtualBox.
>
> No, it isn't. VirtualBox emulates a PC type computer. If the emulation
> isn't good enough to run an operating system that works on a real
> PC type computer it is still a bug in the emulation.

Fair enough. What I meant was that a decent number of operating
systems run unmodified under VBox, and that includes NetBSD 4.0.

> With your logic
> you could claim that modern Linux binaries are all broken because
> they don't work on NetBSD's Linux emulation.

I see what you mean; there is substantial difference in what the two
emulations actually do. As a contraargument it's OK, though.

> It might however be worthwhile to figure out how NetBSD can work
> around the short comings of Virtual Box.

It works for NetBSD4.0; doesn't work for 5.0. Binary selection between
4.99.01 and 4.99.{last before 5} will point out quickly when the
change took place. I haven't kept the ISOs, unfortunately; I may have
at work decent selection of actually burned CDs to try some day.

It's not that important, but it is convenient to have development
NetBSD machine running under VirtualBox hosted on Solaris 10/11 ZFS
filesystem, only for the easy snapshots. I have OpenBSD, FreeBSD, a
few Linux instances and a whole skyscraper of Windows VMs for that
sort of purposes.

On my (32-bit) laptop, I always get:

attimer0: attached to pcppi0
uvm_fault(0xc09e6a40, 0, 2) -> 0xe
fatal page fault in supervisor mode
trap type 6 code 2 eip c0100d69 cs 8 eflags 10246 cr2 0 ilevel 0
kernel: supervisor trap page fault, code=0
Stopped in pid 0.12 (system) at netbsd:spllower+0x29: addl  %eax,0(%eax)
db{0} bt
spllower(0,0,0,0,ca51c000,0,0,0,0,0) at netbsd:spllower+0x29
wdc_drvprobe(ca51c0f0,ca51ed28,c0445437,ca1112a0,ca1112a0,0,ca51c000,ca50564c,c01ab230,ca1112a0)
at netbsd:wdc_drvprobe+0x27
atabus_thread)ca50564c,0,c01002cd,0,0,0,0,0) at netbsd:atabus_thread+0x65
db{1}

>        Kind regards
>
> --
> Matthias Scheler                                  http://zhadum.org.uk/

Chavdar

--
----
Fran Lebowitz  - "Life is something to do when you can't get to