Re: Very bad interactive response, and awful amount of system time

On Sat 06 Jun 2009 at 12:39:34 -0400, Matthew Mondor wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 17:20:11 +0200
> Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> wrote:
>
> > I noted that the interactive response of other tasks suffered
> > progressively more and more under the load. At one point, it had gotten
> > so bad that getting an echo in an xterm took seconds! (Of course,
> > complex programs like Firefox suffered even worse)
>
> I used netbsd-5 rather extensively to build software (rebuilt all my
> packages repository under it lately) but have not noticed this bad
> interactive performance, unless RAM was low enough to cause say, ff3 to
> be swapped out.  I also don't have a high system time, although it's a
> bit higher than on netbsd-4 (mostly ioflush takes more CPU time than
> previously, but also nfsio threads).

Earlier, I updated and rebuilt my laptop, and there I also didn't notice
any problem. A difference is that I was building over NFS, which would
delay I/O and therefore affect scheduling.

> Matt
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    -- You author it, and I'll reader it.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl      -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.