exec: /sbin/init: error 8

I installed 5.0 RC3 recently to a new machine.  I then wanted to make
it a -current machine.  I rebuilt the kernel from sources as of this
morning but I get the above error suggesting that the exec format is
invalid.

I am rebuilding the userland but I don't want to install it until I
have run the kernel for a while.  My plan is to mv /sbin/init
to /sbin/oinit (in case I need to revert) and install just the init
from the new build.  Is this the best way forward?  Can I expect other
gotchas doing it this way?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/