Re: "device busy" reading file from NFS

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Matthias Scheler wrote:

On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 08:19:24AM -0500, John D. Baker wrote:
Device busy

I have the same problem but only if I use amd(8), see here:

http://gnats.netbsd.org/41259

I think I tried a non-automount NFS mount to the system sources and it
behaved the same, but I don't remember now.  I'll give it a try soon.

That works fine for me.

I posted the other day that I was now aware of the PR which describes
this.  And true enough, non-automount NFS directories work fine.

Oddly, -current doesn't seem to have this problem.  I've been testing
with 4.0_STABLE/i386 servers and 5.99.11/i386 and /macppc clients.  The
i386 client has no trouble at all with automounted NFS file systems,
but it seems a little sluggish.  It reports "nfs server foo not responding"
/ "nfs server foo is alive again" occasionally.  Both client and server
are intel core2Duo 2.6GHz machines with 2GB RAM and "wm" gigabit ethernet,
although they're attached to a 100Mb switch.

The macppc client works, but has been exhibiting behavior I've never
seen before.  Running a "cvs update" on the automounted source trees
mostly works, but I've been getting a "cvs client: refetching unpatchable
files" message that I've never seen before.  It then displays the list
of files it's "U)pdating" and then sits there without exiting.  I can
interrupt it with Ctrl-C, rerun the update and as long as it doesn't
do the "refetching..." thing, it terminates on its own.

The macppc client is a "G4 Digital Audio" 466MHz machine (gigabit
ethernet) with 256MB RAM and the server is a 2.8GHz pentium4 with 1GB
RAM and "bge" gigabit ethernet.  Both attach to a Zonet gigabit switch.

Doing a 'build.sh release' (with appropriate obj/tools/dest/rel options)
and automounted NFS source trees works fine on either client (latest
source bugs notwithstanding ;).

--
John D. Baker, KN5UKS                    NetBSD     Darwin/MacOS X
jdbaker[snail]mylinuxisp[flyspeck]com         OpenBSD            FreeBSD