amd64: /boot causing spontaneous reboot

I recently tried upgrading my amd64 current box from around 2009-01-01
to 2009-03-13. Since I'm still building monolithic kernels, I wasn't
too concerned about boot blocks, but decided to upgrade them anyway,
after I had already upgraded everything else. After upgrading /boot,
the system would hard reset approximately around kernel load time.
Hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure I've seen the first kernel size
number flash up for a microsecond. Binary search has identified:

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2009/02/16/msg217271.html

as the likely culprit. I noticed the binary size of /boot jumped
about 4KiB at that time, too. I also tried "vesa disabled" at the
boot prompt - no change.

Anyone else seen this? If not, I'll dig deeper.

--
Paul Ripke
-- Douglas Adams