Re: Updating from 5.99.01

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 08:18:09PM +0100, vincent wrote:
>> Are you using  That should take care of everything for you,
>> including building new host tools like config.  (You'll find a
>> nbconfig in your tools directory.)
> I've done a tools. Does not help. Shall I make a general
> without installing to / and then use /usr/DESTDIR/usr/bin/
> config ? And then rebuild the whole userland anew ?

You should simply stop trying to run builds without using

Not "run to X, and then Y".  You're going to keep getting
yourself in trouble that way.

Just "run to X and Y".

So, let's assume you have a kernel configuration named KAKOS.

Do this:

./ distribution sets kernel=KAKOS
copy the built KAKOS kernel to / -- will tell you where it is.
go in RELEASEDIR -- /usr/src/releasedir* by default -- and find the
sets for your architecture.  for each set EXCEPT etc.tgz,
progress -z -e -f $i cat | (cd / ; tar xpf -)
then run postinstall -s etc.tgz fix

And you're done.  In the future, use kernel=AGATHOS (if your
kernel configuration happens to be AGATHOS) to build your kernel,
not "config" and "make".

Thor Lancelot Simon
    "Even experienced UNIX users occasionally enter rm *.* at the UNIX
     prompt only to realize too late that they have removed the wrong
     segment of the directory structure." - Microsoft WSS whitepaper