Re: nested file system types

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 03:21:40PM +0900, Toru Nishimura wrote:
>> I'm working on mount_vnd(8).  It's pretty
>> straight-forward; the catch is that I need to be able to specify the
>> file system type that's layered on top of vnd.
>
> I'm skeptic about inventing mount_vnd(8), however, want to wait
> for the output.  If going that way, please consider how /etc/fstab
> should be sanely extended for multiple stacked FS.  One of
> fundamental issues we have is a vague distinction (or confusion)
> among "filesystem" and "how-to-stack-each-other."

Is mount_vnd going to be the BSD version of the linux
'mount -o loop image.iso /mnt'? As in, is this the result
of recent discussion?

If so, I don't believe the linux facility is that advanced. I'm pretty
sure it would expect you to specify manually what was on the disk.
The ability to list mounts, specify mounts and have _some_
autodetection would be more than any of us could ask for ... well
should :)

Although the extension of fstab would be good, is this hinting at
a general limitation for this kind of scenario anyway?

Basic functionality would be more than what exists now. I am assuming
that specifying the filesystems etc on the command line would avoid this
need for knowing what is _possibly_ on the disk?

Sorry for all the questions :)

Sarton