Re: Disabling ACPI also implicitly disables SMP support for Intel Atom chips?

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:18:23 -0500, Jared D. McNeill wrote:
From: "Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill%invisible.ca@localhost>
To: "David H. Gutteridge" <dhgutteridge%sympatico.ca@localhost>
CC: current-users%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: Disabling ACPI also implicitly disables SMP support for Intel Atom chips?
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:18:23 -0500

David H. Gutteridge wrote:
Hi all,

Is it a given that disabling ACPI also disables SMP (well, really SMT,
technically) with Intel Atom chips?  (Or others?)  The i386 boot prompt
offers the choice of disabling ACPI only, but when I choose it on my
LG X110 netbook, the kernel doesn't recognize the HT capabilities of
the CPU.  In order to get SMP, I have to enable ACPI.  Is this
something I should PR, or is it just the nature of things here?  (This
is with 5.0 RC2, incidentally.)

Does your motherboard have MP BIOS extensions (the fallback when ACPI isn't enabled)? I suspect not.

Ahh, that's the missing piece I hadn't thought of.  It doesn't seem it
does, no.  (Unsurprisingly, given this is a netbook.)

Thanks,

Dave