Re: NFSSERVER dependency on NFS...this seems wrong

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Scott Ellis wrote:

It looks like somewhere along the road, we made NFSSERVER depend on NFS (ignoring PR kern/40483). I build an amd64 kernel with NFSSERVER defined, but not NFS, and it links happily. On boot, however it shows:

WARNING: module error: can't find `nfs'

(Scary, especially since it's not a modular kernel!)

Trying to start mountd yields:

mountd[3066]: kernel NFS support not present; exiting

This dependency seems unintentional, but I don't know how to track it down. Suggestions?

Yup. I reported this very issue a month or so ago, and the basic answer is that, if you have either NFS or NFSSERVER in the kernel, you need to have them _both_. See the discussion in

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2008/12/22/msg006790.html

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:      |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul at whooppee.com   |
|                  |                          | pgoyette at netbsd.org  |