NFSSERVER dependency on NFS...this seems wrong

It looks like somewhere along the road, we made NFSSERVER depend on NFS (ignoring PR kern/40483). I build an amd64 kernel with NFSSERVER defined, but not NFS, and it links happily. On boot, however it shows:

WARNING: module error: can't find `nfs'

(Scary, especially since it's not a modular kernel!)

Trying to start mountd yields:

mountd[3066]: kernel NFS support not present; exiting

This dependency seems unintentional, but I don't know how to track it down. Suggestions?

        ScottE