Re: HEADS UP: I will be merging christos-time_t by the end of the week

Hi,

Not if we do the mass revbump.

A process image that's all old stuff (old executable and old libs)
will work fine. A process image that's all new stuff (new executable
and new libs) will also work fine. If you mix old and new stuff in the
same process, e.g. if you recompile a program but not its libs, or
recompile some libs but not every program that uses them, it may blow
up at runtime.

The mass revbump insures that newly compiled stuff will be all new.
There's no better or less drastic way to do it, because there's no way
to encode the necessary dependence information in ELF program images.

Maybe I'm dumb, but wasn't the purpose of the versioning stuff to avoid
such mass revbump in the first place?  If we have to do a mass revbump
anyway, why not bump libc major and get rid of the old versioning cruft
that accumulated over time?

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--