Re: HEADS UP: I will be merging christos-time_t by the end of the week

On Jan 5, 12:13pm, Wolfgang%Solfrank.net@localhost (Wolfgang Solfrank) wrote:
-- Subject: Re: HEADS UP: I will be merging christos-time_t by the end of the

| Hi,
|
| > Not if we do the mass revbump.
| >
| > A process image that's all old stuff (old executable and old libs)
| > will work fine. A process image that's all new stuff (new executable
| > and new libs) will also work fine. If you mix old and new stuff in the
| > same process, e.g. if you recompile a program but not its libs, or
| > recompile some libs but not every program that uses them, it may blow
| > up at runtime.
| >
| > The mass revbump insures that newly compiled stuff will be all new.
| > There's no better or less drastic way to do it, because there's no way
| > to encode the necessary dependence information in ELF program images.
|
| Maybe I'm dumb, but wasn't the purpose of the versioning stuff to avoid
| such mass revbump in the first place?  If we have to do a mass revbump
| anyway, why not bump libc major and get rid of the old versioning cruft
| that accumulated over time?

To avoid distributing an old libc for compatibility and to ease the
upgrade process. We can always remove the cruft in the future; in fact
it is easier now, because it is all in one place. By having this intermediate
stage, we can provide a smooth transition.

christos