Re: -current hangs; serial console oddities

        Hello.  It sounds like you hav BIOS serial redirection enabled, and
a getty running on the serial port as well.  If so, you're talking to both
login processes, with keystrokes ping ponging between them randomly.  If
it's a serial port, and not a bios redirected port, disable console logins
in /etc/ttys, leaving getty enabled on tty00 or which ever tty corresponds
to the serial port this is.  I think once you do that, all will be OK.
-Brian