Re: Please read if you use x86 -current

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 11:50:20AM +0200, Antti Kantee wrote:
> On Thu Nov 13 2008 at 10:22:43 +0100, vincent wrote:
> >
> > Le 13 nov. 08 ? 10:15, Andrew Doran a ?crit :
> >
> > >Every system must have those so there is no big incentive to
> > >modularize
> > >them.
> >
> > I agree. Yet, some file systems could be modularized. I'm thinking
> > about the MSDOSFS and NTFS code. Typically, those are used only for
> > sparse transfers with USB-keys, e.g. Including them permanently in the
> > kernel is a waste of resources.
>
> I strongly advocate using rump_msdos(8) and rump_ntfs(8) for mounting
> USB media.  USB sticks typically contain an untrusted file system, and
> it is way too easy to construct an evil file system to crash/exploit
> your system, if you run the file system code in the kernel.

Unfortunately, this requires giving user code access to raw disks, which
poses essentially the same set of security risks in the long term.

With something like Elad's (abandoned?) code that enforced exclusive use
of potentially overlapping disks/partitions we'd be better off.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost