Re: Please read if you use x86 -current

Le 13 nov. 08 à 10:15, Andrew Doran a écrit :

Every system must have those so there is no big incentive to modularize
them.

I agree. Yet, some file systems could be modularized. I'm thinking about the MSDOSFS and NTFS code. Typically, those are used only for sparse transfers with USB-keys, e.g. Including them permanently in the kernel is a waste of resources.

I was wondering if the kernel (besides FFS) could not dynamically load file systems only when a mount(1) explicitly request it, and get rid of them as soon as the volumes are umounted?

This could maybe also apply to some kind of plug-and-play devices (USB, Bluetooth or firewire)

Vincent