Re: cvs co -r netbsd-5 brings back some Attic files

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008, Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. wrote:
> The fact that the netbsd-4 branch isn't on these files, though some
> other private branch tags are, is disturbing though -- it suggests the
> problem is much more recent that it might otherwise seem.

That could be explained by the difference between using "cvs tag" on
a checked-out version of current (not including the weird files), and
using "cvs rtag" in a way that does include the weird files.

> There may be some assumption in cvs now that files in attic
> directories will always have their head revision marked dead, but once
> upon a time the "dead" state was not used (though I don't remember if
> that was recent enough to affect the files in question).

Are you saying that, in some old version of cvs, deleting a file may
have moved it to the Attic without changing the "head" revision number
and without creating a new revision with "state dead"?

--apb (Alan Barrett)