Re: cvs co -r netbsd-5 brings back some Attic files

On 1-Nov-2008, at 6:51 AM, Alan Barrett wrote:

There's something strange about that file.  It's in the Attic, and
revision 1.2 has "state: dead", so presumably the revision 1.2 commit
moved it into the Attic.  However, there's a more recent revision 1.3
woth "state: Exp".  I would have expected the file to be moved out of
the Attic at the time revision 1.3 was committed.

Indeed attic files should be resurrected when changes are made to them, if the head revision is not marked "dead" after the change.

I suspect various (old?) bugs related to handling of files with the magic vendor branch may getting in the way, or it may have been a crash (likely of the server) too.

There are some other files from the list, e.g. usr.bin/yacc/yyfix.1 which are in a state even more likely due to a crash as they have a lock on what should be their head revision. How they got in the attic is an even bigger mystery, though perhaps that was someone meddling directly in the repository.

The fact that the netbsd-4 branch isn't on these files, though some other private branch tags are, is disturbing though -- it suggests the problem is much more recent that it might otherwise seem.

There may be some assumption in cvs now that files in attic directories will always have their head revision marked dead, but once upon a time the "dead" state was not used (though I don't remember if that was recent enough to affect the files in question).

--
                                        Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
                                        <woods%planix.ca@localhost>