Re: FAN0C0B at acpi ?

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 07:52:03PM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> I've got a couple of motherboards with these devices showing up as "not
> configured" in my dmesg output.  I'm assuming that they're fan speed
> controllers.  I'd love to have some control over my fans, so I'd be very
> interested in writing a driver for 'fan* at acpi?'
>
> But, I'm pretty much clueless on how acpi works - it seems to be "black
> magic".  :)
>
> Can anyone offer me a starting point on how acpi works?  Or even just a
> pointer to some specs?

I don't think there is a need for a driver.  The DSDT holds the definite
answer, but I expect your acpitz(4) device(s) to be of the "active"
kind, referencing the fan objects of the DSDT.

In active cooling mode, the TZ object points to a list of ACPI objects
the driver has to invoke a method on when the temperature threshold is
reached.  I don't think the target device has to expose any other method
related to that.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost