FAN0C0B at acpi ?

I've got a couple of motherboards with these devices showing up as "not configured" in my dmesg output. I'm assuming that they're fan speed controllers. I'd love to have some control over my fans, so I'd be very interested in writing a driver for 'fan* at acpi?'

But, I'm pretty much clueless on how acpi works - it seems to be "black magic". :)

Can anyone offer me a starting point on how acpi works? Or even just a pointer to some specs?

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul%whooppee.com@localhost   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette%juniper.net@localhost |