Re: BNX Double Buffer Allocation

On Sat, 30 Aug 2008, Manuel Bouyer wrote:

This I'm not sure. A kernel built with 'options MBUFTRACE' should give
more details about this, but I don't know which tools allows to see
the infos. Maybe netstat will notice if a kernel is compiled with or without
MBUFTRACE.

  netstat -mss

$ netstat -mss
626 mbufs in use:
        625 mbufs allocated to data
        1 mbufs allocated to packet headers
2 calls to protocol drain routines
                                             small        ext    cluster
             tcp               inuse             1          0          0
             tcp tx            inuse             2          0          0
            bge2 tx            inuse           112         37         37
            bge1 tx            inuse             3          0          0
         unknown data          inuse           512        512        512

In this case, the unknown data are the receive ring buffers allocated by the two bge interfaces, i.e. 256 mbuf clusters for each interface [the bge driver doesn't "tag" the mbufs like other drivers do].

--
Michael L. Hitch                        mhitch%montana.edu@localhost
Computer Consultant