Re: WARNING: module error: builtin module `putter' failed to init

Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
2008/5/27 Andrew Doran <ad%netbsd.org@localhost>:
On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 01:55:36AM +0200, Adam Hoka wrote:

After compiling a custom kernel I have found the following in my dmesg:

 WARNING: module error: builtin module `drm' failed to init
 WARNING: module error: builtin module `putter' failed to init
FWIW, the module is not initializing because its char/block device has
already been hooked in by the glue generated by config(1). Two ways to
achieve the same thing and one wins. It's harmless. Some #ifdefs would sort
the warning, but we need to do some serious work on the kernel config scheme
to handle both modules and static builds well.

I am seeing the same. If I take out the corresponding lines in my
GENERIC.local, do I have to do something to enable/use the kernel
modules? I haven't seen a panic - I am using drm only at this time.

1. cd sys/modules, make and make install
2. set MKMODULAR=yes in /etc/mk.conf
3. for each of sbin/modload sbin/modunload and sbin/modstat:
        USETOOLS=no make clean
        USETOOLS=no make
        sudo USETOOLS=no make install
4. modload <driver>, currently i915drm and radeondrm are available on i386. i915drm is available on amd64 but there are stability problems running it from a module.

Cheers,
Jared