Re: serious current install issues (./ install=/ installs as rafal:staff vs. root:wheel)

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 12:32:18PM +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:
 >   | D'oh!  Nevermind, sorry.. another case of User Brain Damage..
 > This is why I recommend _not_ using "./ install=...".
 > Do "./ [...] distribution sets" and extract the tar files as root.
 > Less chance of a stuff-up.

I dunno, there's more to type that way and it's much easier to goof
by, say, forgetting the -p in the untar. Not that I've ever done that
or anything.

Why not have inspect the permissions on, say,
$DESTDIR/usr/bin/su and complain if -U is wrong? In the unlikely event
that su ceases to be setuid root or moves to a different directory we
can always update accordingly.

   - David A. Holland /