Re: printer recommendations

In article <20080201001619.GB12708%baea.com.au@localhost>,
Brett Lymn  <blymn%baesystems.com.au@localhost> wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 11:20:34PM +1100, Malcolm Herbert wrote:
>>
>> interesting - I just recently bought this same model of printer and haven't
>> had any of these issues, although I generally print text using a2ps or
>> similar
>> and do it that way
>
>I have decided on a HP 2605DN too - due to an intersection of features
>and availability from a place where I can get it cheap(er), that
>coupled with the fact that I have had a lot of experience with HP
>printers at work, so I will go with what I know.  Thanks for all the
>input.

I got an HP all-in-one recently because my old HP G95 does not have drivers
for Vista. I should have learned my lesson and never bought an HP all-in-one
again. The new printer hardware-wise is very nice but:

        1. The size of the printer cartridges has diminished. I bet I'll
           be buying new ones every month.
        2. The software drivers *suck*. Not only they took more than 1 hour
           to install on vista, they don't work properly. I.e. I can only
           scan one page at a time. Then the driver ends in an infinite loop
           and I end up with scanner not responding until I enter the task
           manager and kill the process.

My advise is to find a printer that has large ink cartridges and decent
software.

christos