Re: printer recommendations

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 11:02:00PM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
|My network printer (an HP 2605DN) works _okay_ with my LPRng server ... but
|it has vague problems with it, and getting things like plain text printing
|to work seems to require some additional bits that I haven't yet figured
|out.  But sadly this printer seems to be slightly buggy enough that it
|has a number of annoyances with LPRng, and I think that to make it work better
|I will need the extra smarts that CUPS provides.  I appreciate all of
|the input!

interesting - I just recently bought this same model of printer and haven't
had any of these issues, although I generally print text using a2ps or similar
and do it that way

one can print plan text to the printer by simply dumping it to the JetDirect
port, although one has to take care of the staircase problem by ensuring that
all your line-feed characters are followed by carriage-return, otherwise it
should be fine ...

--
Malcolm Herbert                                This brain intentionally
mjch%mjch.net@localhost                                                left