Re: printer recommendations

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 06:54:06PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost> writes:
> > I'm very happy with a Brother HL-5150D laser printer.
>
> I have a HL-5170DN. Network attached, well under $200, does
> postscript, does duplex, works great with NetBSD, Linux, Windows and
> OS X -- you talk to it with lpr, IPP or several other protocols, and
> it has both a built in web server and a telnet interface for
> configuration.  I can't recommend the Brother duplex network attached
> laser printers highly enough.

The 5170 has been replaced by the 5250 which has a similarly good
reputation.

Each of these has a corresponding duplex multifunction machine which
uses the same engine and consumables (toner and fuser cartridges).  For
the 5250, it's the MFC-8870DW which is a duplex printer/scanner/copier/fax
with 802.11 and Ethernet connectivity.  It works well; several people I
know have them and are quite satisfied.

I managed to bring one to its knees by running several hundred pages of
recent copier output through the duplex input tray, but that's not
really fair -- you can even jam a big Xerox DocuTech that way.

--
  Thor Lancelot Simon
tls%rek.tjls.com@localhost

  "The inconsistency is startling, though admittedly, if consistency is to
   be abandoned or transcended, there is no problem."         - Noam Chomsky