Re: printer recommendations

On Jan 30, 2008, at 10:02 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
My network printer (an HP 2605DN) works _okay_ with my LPRng server ... but it has vague problems with it, and getting things like plain text printing to work seems to require some additional bits that I haven't yet figured
out.  But sadly this printer seems to be slightly buggy enough that it
has a number of annoyances with LPRng, and I think that to make it work better
I will need the extra smarts that CUPS provides.  I appreciate all of
the input!

What problems have you had with the 2605dn? I have one too, which I print to using CUPS (although I don't print very much from NetBSD... I do print more from Mac OS X though, which also uses CUPS), and haven't run into any problems. I do have a minor annoyance when printing to it from Windows (using a "Standard TCP/IP Port" on port 9100)-- occasionally, the printer seems to quit responding to SNMP packets, which makes Windows think the printer is offline. I have to power cycle the printer to get it working again.
INet: khym%azeotrope.org@localhost |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 31 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA + PL++