Re: Native Xorg on sparc64

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Quentin Garnier wrote:

> I don't think it has ever been clear what -x meant in X.Org vs. XFree86
> context;  at the time X.Org didn't exist.  So -x effectively started as
> "build with X11 support", not being specific as the flavour was unique.

Yes, and it means that to me (the naive user) too

In the past, there was no way to select between X.Org and XFree86 because
it was not needed. If we now need that option then lets introduce a way to
select the flavour by all means but I don't think that:

        MKX11=no, MKXORG=no             nothing
        MKX11=no, MKXORG=yes            X.Org
        MKX11=yes, MKXORG=no            XFree86
        MKX11=yes, MKXORG=yes           invalid

is particularly intuitive in this regard (since you can get X11 produced
even though you said MKX11=no). Better IMHO to be:

        MKX11=no                        nothing
        MKX11=yes, MKXORG=no            XFree86
        MKX11=yes, MKXORG=yes           X.Org

or even:

        MKX11=no                        nothing
        MKX11=yes, X11TYPE=xorg         X.Org
        MKX11=yes, X11TYPE=xfree        XFree86

and architecture defaults can be set in "etc/etc.<arch>/Makefile.inc" can
they not?

regards,
iain