Re: Native Xorg on sparc64

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008, Tyler Retzlaff wrote:
>> build.sh release             no X11          MKX11=no  MKXORG=no
>> build.sh -x release          XFree86 X11     MKX11=yes MKXORG=no
>> build.sh -V MKXORG=yes release       Xorg X11        MKX11=no  MKXORG=yes
>
> Thanks for clarifying. But is the change in user interface intended?
>
> So far -x controlled if X11 was built or not. This was changed for some
> other mechanixh (-V ...) now. -x could still say "build _some_ X11", and
> you could use a variable, or (when X.org is considered mature enough)
> build X.org for X11 by default on some platforms.

I was unaware of the interface change, and I don't like it either.
I think that build.sh without "-x" should not build X11, and
build.sh with "-x" should build X11.  Which flavour of X11 gets built
by "build.sh -x" should be controlled by variables like MKX11 and MKXORG,
with the default possibly changing over time.

To summarise, I'd like to see this:

    build.sh release                    # do not build X11
    build.sh -V MKX11=yes release       # do not build X11
    build.sh -V MKXORG=yes release      # do not build X11

    build.sh -x release                 # build the default flavour of X11
    build.sh -x -V MKX11=yes release    # build the "MKX11" flavour of X11
    build.sh -x -V MKXORG=yes release   # build the "MKXORG" flavour of X11

--apb (Alan Barrett)