Re: Proposal: remove usr.bin/mkstr

Den 2022-04-10 kl. 22:03, skrev Joerg Sonnenberger:
Am Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 09:30:19PM +0700 schrieb Robert Elz:
     Date:        Sat, 9 Apr 2022 21:33:36 +0200
     From:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost>

   | wtf is this still being installed on most NetBSD systems?

Can you demonstrate that NetBSD is not being used somewhere
to cross-build BSD 2 (2.10 or 2.11 or something) systems?
Can you demonstrate that BSD 2 is cross-buildable from any recent NetBSD
release? It would strongly surprise me given that parts of K&R C are not
supported by the compilers in base and at least 64bit platforms are
going to violently object to a lot of other abuse in the code. A lack of
mkstr is the least of your problems.
Cross-compilation of 2BSD requires native F/D-float, so it can only be done on a vax.
(compiling the 2.11BSD kernel worked when I tried a few years ago).

...but I cannot find any reason anyone would like to do that since compling 2BSD on simh is much faster.

Someone should probably ANSIfy the manpage if we are going to keep mkstr.

-- R