Re: Proposal: remove usr.bin/mkstr

Den 2022-04-09 kl. 01:23, skrev Roland Illig:
Hi,

Since 1993, the manual page of mkstr(1) has been saying that this tool
should not be used.  29 years later, I'd like to remove this tool from
NetBSD since there is no practical use case for it.
It doesn't say that it should not be used, it says that it is an inefficient way to do it (on vax using a.out). Besides that, mkstr is quite useless on a 32-bit architecture so I would say remove it.

While looking at these programs, you may want to retire xstr as well.  It's also a pdp-11 artifact.

-- R