Re: Proposal: remove usr.bin/mkstr

Am Sun, Apr 10, 2022 at 09:30:19PM +0700 schrieb Robert Elz:
>     Date:        Sat, 9 Apr 2022 21:33:36 +0200
>     From:        Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost>
>
>   | wtf is this still being installed on most NetBSD systems?
>
> Can you demonstrate that NetBSD is not being used somewhere
> to cross-build BSD 2 (2.10 or 2.11 or something) systems?

Can you demonstrate that BSD 2 is cross-buildable from any recent NetBSD
release? It would strongly surprise me given that parts of K&R C are not
supported by the compilers in base and at least 64bit platforms are
going to violently object to a lot of other abuse in the code. A lack of
mkstr is the least of your problems.

> Once again, unless some real harm (or even just headaches perhaps)
> can be shown to keeping this (or anything) it should be retained,
> no matter how useless some of us consider it, because we cannot know
> that there truly is no-one anywhere using it.

It costs disk space and build time. Both might be minimal, but for
something without positive value, it matters. I seriously don't get the
attachment to useless junk. It's not like we are removing the history of
src/usr.bin/mkstr. If someone actually has a use case, it's not hard to
get a copy and package it independently. But that minority can pay the
price.

Joerg