Re: /etc/rc.d/local starts not last

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 02:46:47PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
[...]

> Well, sometimes I find it useful to put there throw away startup
> scripts. And not always every setup is worth the time to fix properly.

I second that. IMVHO it is worthwhile to keep (or "back to") traditional
/etc/rc.local behaviour by:

- removing /etc/rc.d/local service
- put something like following into /etc/rc (it is a matter of discusion
  that /etc/rc.local should be overriden by RC_FILES_OVERRIDE or not.
  IMHO should):

        files=$(rcorder -s nostart ${rc_rcorder_flags} ${scripts})
+       files="$files /etc/rc.local"
        print_rc_metadata "cmd-status:rcorder:$?"

        if [ -n "${RC_FILES_OVERRIDE}" ]; then
                files="${RC_FILES_OVERRIDE}"
        fi

Ensuring that /etc/rc.local in -current will be started after all other
services requires editing about a 19 files on vanilla system and still
is prone to  uncontrolled changes after installing custom packages.

For example my musings with xdm (I wanted xdm as a last service) leads
to modifying following files. And I'm not happy with overall result.

LOGINMGR          <- barrier for xdm service
wsmoused          <- # BEFORE: LOGINMGR
sshd
raidframeparity
moused
mixerctl
httpd
hostapd
postfix
ndbootd
isibootd
iscsi_target
ip6addrctl
inetd
identd
ftpd
envsys
cron
xdm                <- # REQUIRE: DAEMON LOGINMGR wscons

Best regards,
--
Piotr 'aniou' Meyer