Re: /etc/rc.d/local starts not last

Hello,

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 01:27:03PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 11:15:49AM +0200, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
> > So my guess is that Vnc reinject keyboard and mouse events and so need
> > wsmoused to run (and it is after).
>
> rc.local is not run last, see rc(8):
>
>      rc.local is a command script to which local boot-time actions can be
>      added.  It is (nearly) the last thing invoked by rc during a normal boot.

Well, "(nearly)" the last thing" is not really an accurate
description when one sees when it does run...

And the behavior has changed (the same thing worked previously with
NetBSD 6.x).

> Actually it is:
>
> # REQUIRE: DAEMON
> # PROVIDE: local
> # BEFORE:  LOGIN
>
> so it is run after all deamons are stareted and before enabling logins, but
> no other guarantees.
>
> Instead you should add a /etc/rc.d/vnc script (maybe pkgsrc has one already)
> that does REQUIRE wsmoused

Yes, I know that I can manage what I need (another option being to add
wsmoused to the REQUIRE of my version of /etc/rc.d/local or to add a
rc.last and call it from /etc/rc.d.local/last---my added subdir in
rc_directories).

The question was more: why is it not the very last thing invoked?
Because if one can not put in rc.local whatever one wants to be run at
start time, rc.local is of little use because it runs at some
"arbitrary" moment: why "now", in the middle, and not "before" or
"after"? At least last, this is definite...

Regards,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/